ACQUISITION BY THOSE WHO HAD PORTUGUESE NATIONALITY BEFORE BUT LOST IT BEFORE THE AGE OF 18 YEARS OLD:
Those who lost Portuguese Nationality by declaration issued before the age of 18 years old are eligible to acquire it again through declaration.
Who is eligible?It is applicable to a foreigner who, having been a Portuguese national in the past, lost Portuguese nationality while he/she was a minor or incapable, by declaration issued by the person(s) exercising the paternal power
Who can make the declarations?According to the Nationality Code, declarations for acquisition of Nationality can be made by the own applicant or by attorney, legally appointed through a valid Power of Attorney. A lawyer can be instructed to proceed with the declarations.
What documents are required?
- Declaration of acquisition
- Birth certificate of the applicant, integral copy and if possible by photocopy, with endorsement that the applicant lost Portuguese Nationality in the past. Even though this birth certificate can be obtained by the Portuguese services, it is advisable that you provide a plain copy of the birth certificate of the applicant
- Document demonstrating the foreign nationality of the underage individual or incapable applicant, accompanied by translation if not written in Portuguese
- Criminal record certificates obtained by the competent services of the country of original nationality, as well as from other countries where the applicant is known to have resided after 16 years old, accompanied by translation if not written in Portuguese. Although the applicant is not required to submit Portuguese criminal record, it is advisable that the applicant does submit it voluntarily
- Documents that explain the extent of the public functions or non compulsory military service exercised in a foreign country
- Documentary evidence of eligibility when it is not obvious from the birth certificate.
Applications can be submitted in:
- Extensions of the Civil Registry Offices in Portugal
- Civil Registry Offices in Portugal
- Portuguese Consular Services.