ACQUISITION BY A PORTUGUESE WOMAN WHO LOST NATIONALITY BECAUSE OF HER MARRIAGE TO A FOREIGNER:Applicable to women who lost Portuguese nationality in exchange by another nationality by virtue of marriage to a foreigner, in accordance to Law nº 2098, of 29 July 1959, and prior legislation.
Who can make the declarations?According to the Nationality Code, declarations for acquisition of Nationality can be made by the own applicant or by attorney, legally appointed through a valid Power of Attorney. A lawyer can be instructed to proceed with the declarations.
What documents are required?
- If the registration of loss of nationality is registered in the Central Civil Registry Office of Lisbon, the registration must be identified
- If the loss of nationality was not registered, the following is required:
- Document demonstrating the foreign nationality of the applicant wife, with information detailing the date and the reason for the acquisition of foreign nationality, accompanied by translation if not written in Portuguese
- Portuguese Birth certificate of the wife with the marriage endorsement, integral copy and if possible by photocopy. Even though this birth certificate can be obtained by the Portuguese services, it is advisable that you provide a plain copy of the birth certificate of the wife.
Applications can be submitted in:
- Central Civil Registry office of Lisbon if the birth occurred outside Portugal
- Civil Registry Offices in Portugal
- Portuguese Consular Services.