Underage applicant or incapable applicant whose parent(s) acquired Portuguese nationality after the birth of the applicant can also acquire nationality by declaration.
Who is eligible?
The underage applicant or those incapable, of father or mother who have acquired Portuguese citizenship after the birth.
What documents are required?
- Declaration of acquisition declared by those exercising the paternal power when the applicant is underage. Can be represented by a lawyer. When the person(s) exercising the paternal power are not both parents, the application can be submitted by the person/authority exercising the paternal power in accordance with the law of the country where the child resides, provided there is legal documentation to prove that such paternal power was granted by the authorities of the country of residence
- Birth certificate of the underage child or incapable individual, if possible, fully detailed and issued by photocopy of the original book, attested and legalised, accompanied by translation if not written in Portuguese. The birth certificate should provide evidence enough that the relationship between the child and the Portuguese parent was established before the age of 18 of the child
- Integral copy of Birth certificate of father or mother, showing as an endorsement that the father or mother acquired Portuguese nationality, if possible by photocopy. If the parents are married to each other, the birth certificate of the Portuguese parent should contain an endorsement referring to the marriage registration. Even though this birth certificate can be obtained by the Portuguese services, it is advisable that you provide a plain copy of the birth certificate of the Portuguese parent
- Document demonstrating the foreign nationality of the underage individual or incapable applicant, accompanied by translation if not written in Portuguese
- If the applicant is more than 16 years old:
- Criminal record certificates obtained by the competent services of the country of original nationality, as well as from other countries where the applicant is known to have resided after 16 years old, accompanied by translation if not written in Portuguese. Although the applicant is not required to submit Portuguese criminal record, it is advisable that the applicant does submit it voluntarily.
- Documents that explain the extent of the public functions or non compulsory military service exercised in a foreign country.
- Documentary evidence that the applicant is connected to the Portuguese National Community.
Applications can be submitted in:
- Extensions of the Civil Registry Offices in Portugal
- Civil Registry Offices in Portugal
- Portuguese Consular Services.