A foreigner married to a Portuguese national can acquire Portuguese Nationality 3 years after the marriage if he/she declared that he/she wishes to acquire Portuguese Nationality through marriage.
Who can submit the application?
It is applicable to a foreigner married to a Portuguese national.
Who can make the declarations?
According to the Nationality Code, declarations for acquisition of Nationality can be made by the own applicant or by attorney, legally appointed through a valid Power of Attorney. A lawyer can also be instructed to proceed with the declarations.
What documents are required?
- Declaration of wish to acquire Portuguese nationality through marriage, declared at the time of the marriage.
- Birth certificate of the applicant, if possible, fully detailed and issued by photocopy of the original book, attested and legalised, accompanied by translation if not written in Portuguese.
- Birth certificate of the Portuguese spouse with the marriage endorsement, integral copy and if possible by photocopy. Even though this birth certificate can be obtained by the Portuguese services, it is advisable that you provide a plain copy of the birth certificate of the Portuguese spouse.
- Marriage certificate, integral copy and if possible by photocopy. Even though this marriage certificate can be obtained by the Portuguese services, it is advisable that you provide a plain copy of the marriage certificate. If the marriage occurred outside Portugal, the marriage should be transcribed to the Portuguese Civil Registry with clear record of the type of marriage (civil, catholic, religious non catholic).
- Document demonstrating the foreign nationality of the underage individual or incapable applicant, accompanied by translation if not written in Portuguese.
- Criminal record certificates obtained by the competent services of the country of original nationality, as well as from other countries where the applicant is known to have resided after 16 years old, accompanied by translation if not written in Portuguese. Although the applicant is not required to submit Portuguese criminal record, it is advisable that the applicant does submit it voluntarily.
- Documents that explain the extent of the public functions or non compulsory military service exercised in a foreign country.
- Documentary evidence that the applicant is connected to the Portuguese National Community.
Applications can be submitted in:
- Extensions of the Civil Registry Offices in Portugal
- Civil Registry Offices in Portugal
- Portuguese Consular Services.