Individuals born in Portugal who do not hold any other nationality are also Portuguese Citizens of Origin.
Who is eligible?
Individuals born in Portuguese territory, direct descendents of foreigners or stateless parents who can prove that they do not hold any other nationality.
Who can submit the application?
According to the Nationality Code, applications for Attribution of Nationality can be submitted by the applicant when aged more than 18 years old or by those exercising the paternal power for the underage. The applicant or those exercising paternal power can also elect an attorney (through a power of attorney) to represent and to act on behalf of the applicant for Attribution of Nationality.
What documents are required?
- Photocopy of the Birth certificate
- Document demonstrating the foreign citizenship of the applicant's parents or the status of the applicant's parents as stateless persons
- Document demonstrating that the applicant does not hold the citizenship of the countries where the applicant's parents are citizens from. This document must be issued by the concerned authorities of the countries of citizenship of the applicant's parents
- Document demonstrating that the applicant does not hold the citizenship of the countries with whom the applicant is connected or associated for nationality purposes. This document must be issued by the concerned authorities of those countries where the applicant may be associated with.
Applications can be submitted in:
- Extensions of the Civil Registry Offices in Portugal
- Civil Registry Offices in Portugal
- Portuguese Consular Services
- Through the services of a Portuguese lawyer or a person acting on behalf of the applicant or those exercising the paternal power, with a written Power of Attorney.